Sunday, September 2, 2012

Food Files: Oh, No Curry

I like Indian curry. This is a more recent development. Some bad curry put me off the stuff entirely for many years. However, this summer I ate at an excellent Indian restaurant and had the advice of experts on what to order. After that meal, my mind was changed on the subject of curry.

A couple weeks ago on Pinterest, I saw a recipe for cauliflower curry over rice. Mmmm, I thought. I like cauliflower and I like curry. I also like not having to cook meat, so I decided to give it a go.

Here are my two conclusions after making the dish this morning:

1. Curry powder does not make for good curry. In comparison to what I have eaten in restaurants, my curry was just meh. Nothing special. I will be buying the jarred stuff in the future as it has a better flavor than simple curry powder. I don't want to get super involved in making my own, which is what I think would be required to produce a really savory dish. Canned it is!

2. Curry cooking in a little apartment. Oh. My. God. This place has stunk to high heaven all day. I tried air freshener. I put on the exhaust fan for 6 hours. I opened my door to the outside. I finally had to light 10 scented candles. So now my apartment smells like a church at Easter...and an Indian restaurant.

I may have to move out.

I will not be making this mistake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment